Saturday, September 28, 2024

WORLDLINESS

It is being overly concerned with (or devoted to) the 'material' ... to the neglect of the 'spiritual'. The Bible often connects 'worldliness' with Christian immaturity. Paul admonished those who were not growing ... 

I could not talk to you as to spiritual people, but as to worldly people, mere infants in Christ! I fed you with milk, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Even now you are still not ready. 1 Corinthians 3:1-2

They had yet to progress beyond the basic teachings of the faith and were apparently content to remain that way. Their thoughts, words, and deeds still displayed kinship with the unsaved world. 

John Calvin - The mind of a Christian ought not to be filled with thoughts of earthly things, or find satisfaction in them, for we ought to be living as if we might have to leave this world at any moment.    

Worldliness is a futile 'horizontal' existence that can never ease the longing in one's soul. It is a desperate attempt to fill a void meant for Christ alone. In contrast, a believer's life is 'vertical' by nature ... spiritual eyes fixed on heaven's shore.  

Jesus prayed on behalf of His followers ... They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.

'Worldliness' is the opposite of the 'godliness' to which we are called.

We must live in such a way that those outside the faith see something 'different' about us. It will only be evident when we can claim Paul's profound statement as our own ... 

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Galatians 2:20

Walk accordingly ...




No comments:

Post a Comment